Thursday, January 17, 2013

Two Days, One Update

The storm that ravaged Union Glacier has long since blown through, and both team contingents (the Vinson climbers and those returning to Punta Arenas) are enjoying wondrously blue skies and curiously still wind.

That's the upside. The downside is that the Punta team was meant to have been on their way immediately following the storm. But, as is often the case with air travel, they have been delayed, probably until Saturday or Sunday. Indeed, delays tend to be the rule, rather than the exception, when it comes to charter air in the world's wild places.

The Vinson team made it to base camp yesterday, and, since the tentbound storm day gave them some time to rest and organize the kit, they were able to start climbing immediately.

Today they it all the way up to High Camp, and will sleep there at 12,400'. The summit stands at 16,050, and they may well reach it tomorrow! It all depends on how they feel in the morning. They will take a very conservative approach if anyone is struggling with the altitude. Even if that means taking a rest day with continued blue skies and still winds.

Check back tomorrow to see if they bag the summit!

No comments:

Post a Comment